|Endangered List: Back To Main Page|
|City/County/Congressional District: • Pine Bluff , Jefferson County ( District 4 )|
|Location Class: • Residential|
|Year Built: • 1885|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places 1975|
|Status: • Endangered|
R.M. Knox, a Confederate colonel, moved from Memphis to Pine Bluff in 1871 to open a dry goods store. He built this house in 1885 in the expanding neighborhood of Pine Bluff. He was one of Pine Bluff’s most wealthy citizens and owned his dry goods store for 34 years. He was a founder of Citizen’s Bank of Pine Bluff and served as director and vice president until his death in 1915. Around 1890 the house appears to have been altered with the addition of more classical columns on the two story porch. Today the Knox House is largely intact and is one of the best surviving examples of Eastlake Victorian architecture in Arkansas. The house was owned by the Knox family until the 1990s and today the home is vacant and in an advance state of deterioration.
Preserve Arkansas is committed to making its Web site accessible to all users and welcomes comments or suggestions on access improvements. Please send comments or suggestions on accessibility to email@example.com.